24 Jan Leadership Development Planning – who needs it?
Who needs leadership development planning? Well, you do! That is, if you are a leader who has the ambition to progress your career and your impact on the business.
Why? Research from The Centre for Creative Leadership (CCL) tells us:
- 60% of leaders believed it was the most effective form of development
- Only 1 in 3 leadership development plans actually work!
It seems like leaders recognise the value of getting focusing in this area if you want to succeed. However, they may not be clear about the ”best” way to go about it. It’s useful to think about ALL learning as a personal change process.
Would you implement change in your business without taking time to think it through first? Would you begin without creating a plan to execute?
How to improve your leadership impact?
Our top three tips to increase your odds are based on key success factors for any development:
- Tip #1: Get clear about what’s in it for you. This is the only way you will stay motivated to achieve it. What will the plan help you to achieve? Why is that important to you?
- Tip #2: Take control! All research suggests that for plans to be successful, they must be self-directed. As Einstein said: “Ideas are like children – you like your own the best!”
- Tip #3: Take time to self-reflect. In our experience, most people start their development thinking in the detail by focusing on activities. Instead, they should stand back and think about what they actually want to achieve. Then discern where they are starting from. Don’t get caught up in the detail! Look at the bigger picture and ask yourself: “Where do I want to go as a leader and what do I want people to say about me when I get there?’
Would you like to learn more about increasing your odds of a
successful leadership development plan for your future. Here you will find a more detailed article on The Case for Development Planning.
Alternatively, give one of our Mantle coaches a call for a free conversation.